Financial Aid Policies

Adler Graduate School’s (AGS) officers, employees, Board of Directors, and agents (including such groups as the alumni board) comply with the AGS’s code of conduct governing educational loan activities.

In accordance with the College’s ethical standards and Sections 487(a)(25) and 487(e) of the amended Higher Education Act of 1965, the code of conduct prohibits revenue-sharing agreements; receipt of gifts or other compensation from lenders; the assignation of any particular lender to first-time borrowers; a refusal to certify or delay certification of a loan based upon a student or parent’s choice of lender; loan volume guarantees or agreements with any lender; and staffing arrangements with any lender, guarantor, or servicer of education loans. AGS employees who serve on advisory boards or similar groups established by lenders do not receive compensation of any kind for their service.

A detailed code of conduct has been provided to all AGS officers, employees, members of the Board of Directors, and agents affiliated with the College.

Some foreign students are eligible for U.S. federal student financial aid. You are considered an " eligible non-citizen " if you are a:

  • U.S. Non-Citizen National;
  • U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551, informally referred to as a "green card" );
  • U.S. permanent resident with Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151);
  • Conditional U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) with a date that has not expired;
  • Citizen of the Freely Associated States: the Federated States of Micronesia and the republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands ;
  • Non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94) from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security indicating the endorsement "Processed for I-551." or "Temporary Form I-551); or

Non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94) from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: (a) "Refugee," (b) "Asylum Granted," (c) "Conditional Entrant" (if that status was issued before 4/1/1980); (d) "Parolee" with a date that has not expired; (e) "Cuban- Haitian Entrant."

Once admitted to Adler Graduate School international students must complete a Certification of Finances form.  All international students are required to provide proof of sufficient financial resources to pay for tuition and living expenses.  After the school has determined that the student has sufficient financial resources, an I-20 will be issued. To obtain an F-1 student visa, contact the U.S. Consulate in your area. International students who come to Adler with an F-1 student visa must be self-supporting; international students are not eligible for U.S. federal financial aid. International students may qualify for a SELF loan through the state of Minnesota, if they have a credit-worthy co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

To maintain eligibility for federal financial aid, students must be making satisfactory academic progress toward completion of their degrees. Academic progress is measured qualitatively, quantitatively, and incrementally.

Qualitative Standards: A financial aid recipient's cumulative G.P.A. must be at least 3.0.

Quantitative Standards: A financial aid recipient must complete his or her M.A. within 4 years of matriculation.

Incremental Standards: To ensure that students progress toward completion of their M.A. degrees within 4 years, students must complete at least 12 credits per calendar year (4 terms, not including approved Leaves of Absence).

Academic progress is assessed every term. Financial aid recipients who fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress will be placed on financial aid warning for the upcoming academic term. If, at the end of the financial aid warning term, the student fails to meet satisfactory progress standards, the student will be ineligible for financial aid for the following term. If a student is declared ineligible, the student may submit a written appeal to the Director of Financial Aid. Appeals will be reviewed and written responses will be issued. Students who have been terminated from financial aid eligibility must re-establish satisfactory academic progress for the following term before federal financial aid can be reinstated.

Complete Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (PDF)

Federal financial aid is “earned” based on a student’s attendance.  When a student completely withdraws, a calculation is performed to determine the percentage of financial aid that was earned prior to withdrawing.  The unearned portion is the amount that is returned to the federal financial aid program.  This is determined by using the “Return of Title IV” (R2T4) calculation that is provided to schools by the Department of Education. 

The following are the key components to the R2T4 calculation:

  • Withdrawal date or last date of attendance
  • Determining the amount of earned federal financial aid
  • Return the unearned federal funds back to the Direct Loan Program

If you withdraw prior to completing 60% of the term in which you are enrolled, your federal financial aid is subject to R2T4.  If you withdraw after 60% of the term has passed, you earned all of the financial aid that was disbursed and a return of funds calculation is not required.

The student and the school share the responsibility to repay the unearned financial aid.  Under this policy the school’s share is the lesser of unearned financial aid or unearned charges.  The policy also requires that the federal financial aid programs be repaid in the following order:

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

If it is determined that the student must repay a portion of their federal loans you will not be expected to return those funds immediately, but rather when repayment on your student loans begins, according to the terms and conditions of your federal student loan master promissory note.  If a portion of the unearned financial aid must be returned, Adler will repay the federal loan program on your behalf which will result in a charge to you as reflected on your Student Account. 

Should you completely withdraw from Adler Graduate School, and you borrowed student loans through the federal direct loan program, you will need to complete Exit Counseling. Go to;  near the middle of the page under “Tools and Resources,” there is a link for Exit Counseling.  Click there and follow the prompts.  

You'll be asked to read through information describing your rights and responsibilities as a borrower of federal student loan funds and to respond to some "quiz" questions.  You'll also be required to provide reference information - the names and addresses of individuals that will know your whereabouts after your loans are in repayment.  The Financial Aid Office will receive confirmation electronically when you've completed the online counseling requirement.  

To monitor compliance with this federal regulation your transcript will not be released until you've completed the counseling exercise.