Adler Graduate School’s goal at graduation is to have trained human services professionals to facilitate healthy and fulfilling life styles for people, organizations, and communities through graduate education and community involvement. We recently reached out to our fellow alumni to see where they are since graduation.

“My clients consistently tell me that the thing they appreciate most about my work is that I’m authentic. I have Adler to thank for that. It’s made all the difference in the world for me to have the courage to be imperfect- at work and at home…the courage piece, that one changed me…I started Mischief Managed, a playful child-centered practice, in 2014. I took on a business partner, a 130lb Great Dane named Dr. Darla. We use play and art with our kiddo clients: Dr. Darla frequently finds herself in costume in the playroom. We also help a lot of parents to understand what their kids are trying to tell them, so they can be the best parents they can be. I finished licensure for Marriage and Family Therapy in 2016. Along the way, we encountered so many people who were either hesitant about the idea of medicating for mental health or wanting to get off their medications.  Dr. Darla had no opinion on this matter, but I became increasingly interested in holistic treatment approaches. I envisioned a place where I could practice alongside complementary healing professionals, collaborating and learning together. So, I set out to create this vision with the birth of Parasol Wellness Collaborative in 2016. The Collaborative is an umbrella company that contracts with therapists and other healing professionals to provide well rounded treatment. For now, we have 7 mental health therapists with varying licenses working out of our two different office locations…” – Leah Corder, MA, Marriage & Family Therapy, 2010

“Adler Graduate School provides a platform to engage professors and peers alike, fostering an environment of higher learning and acceptance. I believe I have always appreciated people. While attending Adler, I found a great appreciation for Ev, Jeanette, Roger, Megan, Sue, Chris, Richard, Earl, Tina, Gale, Amy, and Gunny. From introduction to graduation, each of these individuals were there for me. As a student of faith, I toiled over which grad school I should attend. I was not disappointed with choosing Adler Graduate School. Diversity, Differing Opinions, Respect, and Voice are welcomed here! Entrepreneurial in nature, I have owned a few businesses. Discovering my passion, I felt God leading me in the direction of mental health. I am an LMFT, due to the education received at Adler Graduate School. I am a businessman due to the experience I received at Adler Graduate School. Professors and Staff shared their knowledge as it related to theory and practice. My first internship at Genesis II for Families captured a piece of me that would bloom down the road. Many one on one meetings with George would foster thoughts about character and process. During this time, Roger would challenge me during class to expound and define the input from my experience at Genesis II. It was around this time frame that Chris and Amy helped me see my shift in direction from School Counseling to become a LMFT. I am grateful to them both. Upon completing my thesis, Tina and Gayle encouraged me to take my idea to market. Finding myself at Family Innovations through contacts made during my internship, I was hired during my first interview. Spending approximately 4 years with Family Innovations, I gained more insight and appreciation for those around me. During this time, I attended Elijah House of Prayer ministry school and completed the program. I became involved with TF-CBT and was working out of school on the East Side of St. Paul. It was a sense of paying it forward. I had attended eight elementary schools prior to middle school and that school was the last one. After a period with Family Innovations, my entrepreneurial side was quickening with in me. I studied the areas around me looking at traffic patterns, growth, proximity to other services, demographic, and decided to open a part time office in Cottage Grove, MN.   My journey led me through a business plan, marketing plan, credentialing, and not a lot of growth.  Circling the wagons, I set my sights on reaching out to other resources.  God’s intervention allowed for another connection to become revived and I found myself aligning my company with a drug clinic.  The growth had arrived, I hired a receptionist, and I am looking to another location in the future.” – Bernie Menge, MA, Marriage & Family Therapy, 2013

“Since graduation from Adler Graduate School in 2001, I have been working as a clinician with individuals with addiction and mental illness in Intensive Residential Treatment Services. I worked five years as a clinical supervisor for ARMHS, became an evidenced based trainer for Illness Management and Recovery for the State of MN, and provided in-home and in-clinic therapy. I was hired as the first mental health professional for a Rule 31 CD facility Progress Valley, Clinical supervisor for all women residential treatment trauma informed care facility and a Crisis residential facility, Co-occurring disorders trainer through MNCAMH through the U of M School of Social Work. Currently, I am a full-time outpatient therapist, LPC/ LPCC supervisor, and Mental Health consultant for Rule 31 facilities.”  – Matthew Lindberg, MA, LPCC

“I graduated from Adler Graduate School’s program with a Masters in Clinical Counseling and Psychotherapy in Fall 2014, and went immediately into their Post-Graduate Certificate in Co-Occurring Disorders Program, finishing in Fall, 2015. I completed my testing for Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) and Licensed Professional Counselor (LCP) in late Fall 2015. I worked as a mental health counselor both at The Retreat and Pride Institute, residential treatment facilities in the Twin Cities. As I was awarded my completed Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) designation, I worked at Nystrom & Associates. I am engaged in the process of opening a new business, Eden Therapy Clinic, scheduled to open in June 2018, in Eden Prairie. In addition to the Adlerian concepts that have guided all my work, I am focused on client needs related to trauma and have added skills as an EMDR Certified therapist and EMDR Supervisor/Consultant (in training process). I hope to pay it forward in sharing my love of Adlerian concepts and trauma informed care by having interns and licensed professionals in training to work with as me using my designation of Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy Certified Supervisor. My new business, Eden Therapy Center, is a holistically oriented mental health and co-occurring disorders clinic where the Integrative Behavioral Health Model is the guideline for client care. This model respects and incorporates the biochemistry of the body, the psychology of the mind, and the effervescence of the spirit. Employed professionals in the mental health field from various specialties work together using evidence-based practices that help move clients toward their best selves and away from decades of pain whether it shows up as depression, anxiety, PTSD, despair, addiction, or inadequate relationships and confusion. These professionals work with both individuals and groups, meeting them in their current context while encouraging them using multiple intervention strategies and supportive alternative and complementary modalities for their individualized care plan.” – Nancy Lowe, MA, LADC, LCP, LPCC, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, 2013, & Co-Occurring Disorders Certificate, 2014

“After successful business careers in the corporate business world, both Jim and Barb chose Adler Graduate School as they recovered from the heartache and disappointment of their respective difficult marriages and divorce. They both hoped for later life career opportunities where they could help others with their own struggles through these all-too-often, no-win scenarios. During her second term at AGS, Barb made note of the guy with the twinkling blue eyes and quick wit sitting in the back of Katherine Hedberg’s Lifestyle class. However, it wasn’t until Jim and Barb completed many long internship hours together helping families entangled with Hennepin County Child Protection services that they struck up a friendship. Finally, after almost a year, seemingly out of nowhere, Jim asked Barb if she’d like to go out for coffee. She wondered out loud if what he was suggesting was a date. Turns out it was.  After the success of this first encounter, they were inseparable. Now in their fifth year of marriage, with five adult children and six pre-school grandchildren between them, they divide their time between Florida, Minnesota, and South Carolina. Jim is a licensed LPCC in Minnesota and a LMHC in Florida; counseling individuals, couples and families. Barb is dedicated to serving Minnesota and Florida hospice families as they as they navigate their way through the complexities and sorrow of end of life issues and bereavement. She will complete her MFT licensure requirements in 2018.” – Jim McCleary, MA, LPCC, LMHC, Marriage & Family Therapy, 2010, & Barb McCleary, MA, Marriage & Family Therapy, 2010

“I am a LPCC and board approved Clinical Supervisor working as an outpatient therapist at Ellie Family Services. My work focuses on men in transition; suffering with OCD; adolescent males with anxiety, depression, and adjustment concerns; SPMI; PD’s; and family therapies. We are currently taking clients and Supervisees for LPCC licensure.” – Ryan Meyer, MA, LPCC, Board Approved Clinical Supervisor, Marriage & Family Therapy, 2013

“I graduated from Adler in March of 2014. Since then, I have worked as a school base therapist and outpatient therapist at Headway Emotional Health. Additionally, I worked as a crisis responder for Hennepin County COPE, and I am now a therapist at the Hennepin County Mental Health Center. I work with a diverse population, and have specialized in trauma informed care.” – Fernando Ferrell, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, 2014

“I’m currently working part time in private practice as a Marriage and Family Therapist with a specialty in ADHD. I work with families and individuals who are dealing with the effects of ADHD in their lives and relationships. I have passed my licensing exam, and I am working as an LAMFT to earn hours to finalize my licensure. Additionally, I am speaking for numerous community education groups, seminars, and conferences on ADHD, what it is, how to deal with it, and providing tools and techniques for individuals, students and adults to find success. I just provided a presentation for the faculty of Inver Hills Community College on ADHD. I speak on the teenage brain and how a scientific understanding of the changes happening in the teenage brain can help individuals improve their relationship with their teens and their parenting.” – Judy Richardson-Mahre, Marriage & Family Therapy, 2014

“My name is Jimmie Heags, Jr. I grew up in a small town in Mississippi, called Lambert. I moved to Minnesota in my senior year of high school. During this time, I have been working with children and their families in a variety of settings. I hold a license in both school and clinical counseling from Adler Graduate School. I am working towards becoming a licensed alcohol and drug counselor by spring of 2018. In addition, I am an approved supervisor with the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy. Primarily, I work at Intermediate District 287 as a District-wide clinician. In that role, my job responsibilities range from providing professional development for school employees to intervening with students experiencing a crisis. My specialty areas include restorative practices, trauma-informed practices, crisis prevention and intervention training and behavior support training. Lastly, I am a certified Nurtured Heart Approach Advance trainer. This certification is a very Adlerian approach for understanding and working with young people with intense behavior. In addition to working for District 287, I have been am a field experience instructor for the School Counseling program at Alder Graduate School. Recently, I have begun providing individual therapy at Levan Counseling and Consulting. The mission for my work is to help remove barriers to student success and partner with children and adults to attain the quality life they seek. One of my favorite quotes is from Frederick Douglass, ‘Without struggle there is no progress’. My most grounding Adlerian principle is having the courage to be imperfect. – Jimmie Heags Jr. MA, LSC, LPCC, School Counseling & Clinical Mental Health Counseling, 2009

“The day after I finished at AGS, I moved to the Washington DC area. I now work for a private practice as a Clinical Counselor. I see mostly 11-18 year old, young adults and some pre-marital couples. I use Adlerian practices every day. Also, I teach cooking classes at a local elementary school for Pre-K-first grade. I try to instill significance, security, and belonging in my students to start them down the right path. My final Adler paper was about instilling social interest in young children. I feel that the cooking classes play a huge role in promoting that.” – Brittany Wolfish (Beck), LGPC, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, 2014, & Co-Occurring Disorders Licensure Only?

“I am the owner of Segal Psychotherapy, LLC. We are a group practice located in Minnetonka that serves people in relationships that have been negatively impacted by affairs, addictions, betrayal, communication issues, emotional needs not being met, and unhealthy behaviors. We are experts in relationship therapy using Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) as the foundational approach to treatment. We help people uncover, understand, validate, and recover from negative feelings, behaviors, beliefs, and actions.” – Renee Segal, MA, LMFT, Certified Emotionally Focused Therapist & Supervisor, Marriage & Family Therapy & Clinical Mental Health Counseling, 2009

“In 2011, I completed my studies at AGS from both the Marriage and Family Therapy and Clinical Counseling programs. Since then, I have moved to Canton, Georgia. I am currently earning my doctorate in General Teaching Psychology at Walden University. I expect to complete my dissertation and graduate early next year. I am a certified Christian Counselor with the Board of examiners in Georgia. I am the Co-owner to a company called Christian Mentor. I mentor young adults to live a Christian lifestyle. I am a Licensed Minister and Ordained Chaplain who loves ministering and traveling internationally to do missions work with children and adults. In addition, I am a court-appointed advocate for abused and neglected children in my county. I speak with judges, attorneys, social workers, and foster parents to help at risk children find a safe home.” – Latonya Rainwater, MA, Licensed Minister, Chaplain, and Christian Counselor

“I am working as a Licensed Minister and Ordained Chaplain. I graduated from the Marriage and Family Therapy and Clinical Counseling program at AGS. Currently, I am writing my dissertation on “Why Young Adults Decide to Leave Religion” at Walden University. I reside in Canton, Georgia. I have an associate’s degree in Music Business and Audio Productions and a bachelor’s degree in Business Management. I am self-employed and run a Christian organization in partnership with my sister that provides individual mentoring to the youth and young adults. As a Christian mentor, I help individuals tap into their strengths and focus on growing and building a closer relationship with God. I am also a court-appointed advocate for abused children in the state of Georgia.” – Elizabeth Rainwater, MA, Licensed Minister, Chaplain, and Christian Counselor

At Adler Graduate School, we love to see our graduates in action. Alumni testimonies inspire all of us at AGS to continue developing human services professionals. To learn more about our programs or discover what you can do with Adler Graduate School click here.

Recent News